Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Home sweet home!

At long last, I’m home! We got the green light from my hospital pediatrician yesterday morning, and once Mom and Dad figured out how to get me into the carseat/carrier, we left the hospital around 3. Babcia and Dido greeted us when we got home, with “It’s a Girl!” balloons. It was sweet. When they left, Mom and Dad seemed really scared to have me all to themselves, and having all the responsibility of changing, feeding and taking care of me. I was a little worried about them, so I made things (relatively) easy on them for the rest of the day.

I’ve just settled down for the night. I was nice and gave them a whole 3 hours of sleep! We made it through, and I’m still in one piece. Dad and Mom felt a little more prepared after watching all those Bringing Home Baby episodes, which follow new parents through their first 36 hours at home with their newborn, but I still don’t think they quite knew what I had in store for them. Thankfully for them, my needs are pretty simple: feed me, change me and swaddle me (Dad has quickly learned that calming me down and putting me to sleep is all about getting me into a snug swaddle). Do all that, and we’re cool. Forget even one of them, and I start testing out my vocal cords.

Apparently I’m a very loud sleeper. Mom and Dad kept checking on me because I was making all these strange noises: rapid breaths, grunts, and squeals. Dad says that sometimes, I sound like the troll in Cat’s Eye that’s trying to steal Drew Barrymore’s breath. I told Dad that I’m only a few days old and referencing a B-movie from 1985 is really confusing to me.

Mom and Dad are sleeping right now after I kept them up for much of the night, but they were very happy when the sun came up and the birds started chirping – it meant they made it through their first day with me. And if they made it through that, perhaps they’ll be okay after all. I could tell that Mom and Dad felt a lot better about taking care of me.

I think I’m going to like it here!