Saturday, October 20, 2007

Playing with fire


My parents weren’t kidding when they said there were going to be lots of surprises in store this week. Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt Jess stopped by for a visit in the middle of the week. And Dad took off work on Friday and spent the day with me.

Not all of the surprises were good, though. Dad had to bathe me all by himself one night, which was a disaster. And I got a little sick again, spending much of the week with a stuffy nose. Like a few weeks ago, it didn’t get any worse than that, and also didn’t affect my sleep schedule, so we’ll just have to ride it out until it goes away.


The best surprise of all, though, was my trip to the fire station, but before we talk about that, let’s dig into the Ask Julia mailbag. Here are Aunt Rebecca’s Ask Julia questions:

Would you rather see Boston or Cleveland win the ALCS? Since you are a Yankees' fan, I presume you also hate the Boston Red Sox, so are you also hoping that Boston stays home to watch the World Series on television?


You’re absolutely right. I do not want to see the Red Sox win the World Series, so I’ve been rooting for the Indians (from afar, at least, I’m not watching any games).

If Aunt Paula can get tickets to see the Indians play in the World Series, will you travel to Cleveland to see the game? Also, are you interested in wearing some Cleveland Indians baseball gear? Your cousin Kathy used to wear Indians' outfits when she was a baby, but she later switched to Astros' gear right about the time she turned 5.
If it’s not Yankees gear, I don’t want it. And I won’t be traveling to Cleveland, as I have a packed schedule the next couple weeks. I’m going to New York City tomorrow for a couple days. My Mom is running a training program, so Dad and I are keeping her company at the hotel for a bit. Then next weekend, we’re going up to Connecticut to visit friends and family. So I don’t think I’ll be going (plus, it’s not looking too good for those Indians, now that they’ve let the Sox back into the series. Remember, my Dad suffered through this in 2004!).


What kind of goodies are you allowed to eat to celebrate Halloween? Will you let your mom and dad eat the rest of the goodies you get from trick or treating?
I can eat formula, rice, baby oatmeal and barley, my usual staples. Anything else, my parents are welcome to take for themselves (especially those Goldenberg Peanut Chews that I’ve been told people give away on Halloween. Does anyone actually like those things?).

Will your mom be baking any pumpkin pies, and if she does, will you supervise?
My Mom doesn’t have much time for baking these days, but pumpkin pie sounds delicious!

Which Presidential candidate do you prefer at this stage of the game? Do you consider yourself a liberal or a conservative?
I’m keeping my options open, as I have a whole year to make up my mind. As for my political leanings, well, I’m going to answer like a true politician and not answer the question so as not to upset the portion of my readers that watch Fox News.

My Aunt Paula also had a Halloween-themed question:

I can hardly wait to see you in your Halloween outfit. Do you think that your parents will be taking you over to your neighbors for Halloween? Do you think that you will get your first piece of candy? I sure hope you will get some kind of treat.
Not only will I be going trick-or-treating around the neighborhood, but on Friday my Dad is having a Halloween party at his office, and I’m going there to trick-or-treat around his floor. I’m looking forward to it. As for candy, I don’t expect anything this year. Thankfully, I don’t know what I’m missing!

Now onto my fire station visit. I went on a tour there because Alec – the brother of my best friend Isabella – was having his third birthday party there. We got to meet a fireman and watch him as he put on his gear, slid down the pole and sprayed a fire extinguisher, but I had the most fun looking at the flashing lights on the fire truck. It was pretty cool.


Sometimes lately I’ve been feeling like my feet don’t touch the ground. That’s because they haven’t been: I’ve been spending lots of time in my new Jumperoo (a gift from my cousin Ava and her mom Arita), and I love seeing how high I can bounce. After trying to turn my Exersaucer into a trampoline, it’s been great having a contraption that actually encourages me to jump as high as I can.

And inevitably, as I grow to like a new toy, I fall out of love with another one. So my parents took down the mobile in my crib, which I haven’t been playing with for several weeks now. In its place, they put up a Fisher Price Aquarium, which definitely seems to have some potential.


Now I have to rest up for my big New York City trip, so don’t forget to write and I’ll let you how it goes.