Thursday, October 4, 2007

Grandma 1, Julia 0


Well, that was ugly. I’m not going to make excuses for the Yanks’ awful pitching tonight, other than to point out that they were on the verge of pulling ahead when I went to bed (down by one run with the bases loaded). After I finally dozed off, the Indians’ onslaught began. So I really can’t be responsible for things that happen when I’m asleep. All I can say is, Grandma and Aunt Paula, enjoy the win, because tomorrow is a new day.

Let’s answer the latest batch of Ask Julia questions that have come in over the past few days. The first ones are from my Aunt Rebecca:

This is an exciting post-game season. If the Indians don't beat up on the Yankees, then Boston will be beating up on the Yankees. A-Rod, of "mine" fame, will choke again. Are you prepared to use the Heimlich maneuver on A-Rod in hopes of resuscitating the Yankees' hopes and dreams? Who is your favorite Yankee?
Well, I’m just going to chalk up your second sentence to a bit of jealousy, since your Houston Astros aren’t playing October baseball this year. Beyond that, I don’t know CPR; you’d have to ask Mom and Dad, who took a CPR course shortly before I came along. My favorite Yankee? I’m sure you’re expecting me to say Jeter, or perhaps Jorge Posada (Mom’s favorite) or Mariano Rivera (Dad’s favorite). But I’m going with our new bullpen phenom, Joba Chamberlain. You didn’t see him pitch in Game 1, but trust me, that guy is electric. Also, I like the fact that he made a splash the same year that I did.

Now that Britney has temporarily lost custody of her sons, are you prepared to invite Sean and Jayden to a party at your house?
I feel sorry for those kids, but really, I don’t want to be anywhere near them. Who knows what bad habits they picked up from their parents?

Please tell me you're not planning to wear a pumpkin costume for Halloween. What kind of costume will you wear, and who will get to eat all the candy you collect?
I do indeed have a Halloween costume. I didn’t want to divulge what I’m going to be yet, but Mom reminded me that I spilled the beans in a previous column. So you can either check the archives, or wait a few weeks until you see what I’m sure will be adorable photos of me in my outfit. But don’t worry, it’s not a pumpkin costume. I haven’t talked to my parents about Halloween candy yet, but they can eat whatever they want as long as I get first dibs on any formula, baby food rice, or baby food oatmeal that is distributed.

Who sings you the best lullabies?
Are you trying to get me in trouble by making me pick a favorite? Sorry, I’m not biting. I will say that Mom, Dad and Babcia all sing me lovely lullabies. Babcia sings me beautiful Ukrainian songs (the translated title of my favorite one is called “Mama was Rocking Her Daughter”). Mom sings me lots of pretty songs, including “All Cried Out,” which I’ve been hearing since I was in the womb. Dad will often sing along to songs he plays when he’s cradling me to get me down for my nap (Sade’s “By Your Side” is one of my favorites). I love hearing them all.


And this last question comes from my Aunt Paula (and again, this was sent before Game 1):

Being that you were born in New Jersey, and they do not have a baseball team, I feel that you should be open-minded when picking a team for the playoffs. Being that your Grandma. Uncle Dan, Aunt Rebecca, and myself are all for the Indians, I feel that you should be for our team most of the time. Do not worry, your Dad will still feed and love you. What do you think?
Sorry, I was born a Yankees fan. Just like you, Grandma and Uncle Dan were born Indians fans. I’m sticking with my team, no matter what happens.

That’s it. If you have any more questions for me, send them along and perhaps I’ll answer them after Game 2. I should be in a better mood, as I’m assuming the series will be tied 1-1 by then.

Let’s go Yanks!