Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ask Julia: 6/11/08


It's too darn hot! Especially at home, where our central AC is on the fritz (apparently a coil froze, which is pretty ironic considering how toasty the house is). So let me take a break from riding out this heat wave to answer some Ask Julia questions from Aunt Rebecca.

I was going to ask you if you were planning any playdates, and lo and behold, you show pictures of a playdate. So, I'll amend my question. Are there any little babies/children in your neighborhood with whom you can have future playdates?
There isn't anyone exactly my age on the block, though the older kids a couple doors down are starting to take an interest in me. A lot of girls live right next door, so when I start walking and talking more I hope we can play together. And my friend Isabella doesn't live too far away; we meet up for playdates once a week or so.

Are my eyes deceiving me? Are the New York Yankees really in fourth place in their division? Have you forgotten to watch the baseball games with your dad? Have you forgotten to cheer your team on? What's up with that, Julia? My own Astros aren't doing any better, so don't feel that I'm rubbing it in. What is the problem with the Yankees this year? After all, it's not that their payroll is bad or anything? I think the problem is that you haven't been watching your favorite team and cheering them on. When was the last time you even mentioned them in your blog?
I think you hit the nail on the head, Aunt Rebecca. I haven't been watching the team, so that's probably why they're not doing too well. I head upstairs to get ready for bed by 7:30, so I don't see any night games. I do catch the occasional snippet of afternoon games on the weekend, but I'm more interested in my toys and books. However, I still smile everytime Dad does the "Job-a! Job-a!" chant with me. How can I resist?

Are you planning to go to the All-Star game? Kathy and Diana went when the game was in Houston in 2004 and had a great time. I went to the homerun derby and had a wonderful time as well. How about you and your dad? Any plans?
No All-Star plans for Dad, who has an early crack at tickets as a partial season ticket holder. As he said, the prospect of watching a bunch of Red Sox players play the All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium isn't too appealing. And it's looking like I won't be going to any games at the old Yankee Stadium; it's too much of a hassle to try and get me all the way up there. But I hear that Mom, Dad and I are going to watch the minor-league ballclub in town this summer, which I'm sure will be even more fun (and much cheaper!).

Any favorite designers, yet? I see you have some beautiful dresses, and can't wait to see you in a fancy Jessica McClintock design when you're older. You'd look really sweet in a creation like this, for example. At $85, it's a real steal!
While I love looking at myself in the mirror after Mom or Babcia dresses me for the day, I don't have a favorite designer yet. That said, I'm loving the Carter's satin pajama pants that Mom and Dad got me to sleep in during the summer (it's too hot for sleep sacks!). I can't stop touching them. But I agree, that dress is very pretty, and Mom is good about finding cute dresses on sale for me to wear when I grow into them.

Are you planning any more vacations this year?
We'll be close by you in Austin next month for Dad's family reunion (maybe we'll get a chance to meet?). And Mom is talking about taking me to the Jersey shore for a couple days in August–Dad won't be able to make it because he'll have to work. Beyond that, I know that both Mom and Dad will have lots of vacation in the fall, so I'm hoping that I can finagle another trip, ideally to see my Sesame Street pals.

Is your mom planning to put you in pre-school, or is that still a dirty word in your household?
That's still a bit away, but yes, I will be going to preschool in another couple years. But let me master walking and talking first, then we'll move on to the bigger stuff.

That's it for now. Be sure to send me more questions. I'm hoping to catch a breeze from the emails flying into my inbox. Anything to beat the heat!